Christmas dangers for dogs
Christmas is the time to indulge, celebrate and have fun – and as part of the family, our dogs will normally be enjoying some of the action too.
But the festive season also presents a world of hidden dangers to our four-legged friends, from toxic foods to dangerous seasonal plants.
Read more about Christmas hazards for dogs…
Keeping your cat safe at Christmas
- Tinsel and decorations can be dangerous if swallowed
- Curious cats trying to climb Christmas trees are at risk of injury
- Snow globes can be extremely dangerous as they can contain antifreeze
- Poinsettia and berries are among the festive plants which pose a risk
- Some foods and alcohol are also poisonous to our feline friends
Antifreeze has a very sweet taste making it attractive to animals but it can be DEADLY even in the smallest of amounts. Clean up antifreeze spills on your driveway and in your garage. If you suspect that your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Do not leave your pet outdoors unattended when the temperature drops below freezing. Animals can quickly develop hypothermia and frostbite. Some pets, depending on fur coat length, may require a doggie winter coat and booties to help them feel more comfortable. Pay extra attention to arthritic animals in severe cold temperatures. They can be very stiff and tender. Arthritic dogs can find it difficult to walk on snow and ice resulting in a fall. This can cause more damage to joints. Please take extra caution with these pets.
Ice Melting Solutions
Chemicals and salt solutions used to melt ice can injure and/or irritate the pads of your pets feet and be harmful if ingested. There are pet-friendly products available.
Never leave your pet in the car while you run errands. Cars can act like refrigerators and hold cold air in. An animal left in a car in freezing temperatures can become hypothermia, get frostbite or possibly die.
- Put your dog in booties to protect its feet.
- Gently wipe your pet’s feet with a damp towel to remove excess salt and to prevent licking which can result in ingesting harmful chemicals.
- Purchase pet-friendly salt for melting ice