Spring is here! Like us, animals get spring fever and they want to spend more time outside after a long winter. Along with the health benefits of fresh air, sunshine and cool breezes, there are dangers for your pet.
As the temperature increases, there is better breeding ground for fleas, ticks and heartworm. Make sure your pet is protected with a proper flea/tick/heartworm preventative.
A pet eating grass can be considered very normal behaviour – it is their natural instinct to aid in digestion or stomach upset. However, grass treated with fertilizer or pesticides can be very poisonous. Only allow your pet to graze in your backyard where you know there are no hidden poisons.
Spring rain and sprinklers can create puddles of standing water. Do your best to stop your dog from drinking standing water; it is a breeding ground for bacteria which can lead to gastrointestinal upset.
There are many plants and flowers which are toxic to dogs and cats. When you bring flowers into your home, it is a good practice to put them out of reach of pets or keep a close eye on pets when they venture close.
If your pet does ingest what you think is a poisonous plant or flower, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
For a list of common Spring plants/flowers which are toxic to pets please read : http://www.healthypets.com/springhazards.html
Chocolate is toxic to animals because it contains a caffeine derivative called Theobromine that cannot be metabolized. If enough is ingested it can cause severe complications and death. As little as 4 ounces of chocolate is enough to seriously harm a 10 lbs dog. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion are: hyperactivity, tremors, racing heartbeatand seizures.
Some candies, sweets and baked goods contain a sugar substitute called Zylitol. This additive can cause low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs.
- During The Easter Egg Hunt give your dog a special treat to occupy him/her.
- Make note where all chocolate and candy has been hidden so that your dog does not find any lost ones at a later date.
- Be cautious of other toxic Easter items including cellophane, ribbons, balloons and stuffed animals. All festive wrapping and decorations should properly be disposed of or put out of reach of pets. Some dogs and cats love to eat these things which can cause gastrointestinal blockages.
How to spot an allergic reaction
- Gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting and diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of face/body