Fall Hazards

Rodent Poison

The use of rodenticides increases in the Fall as rodents attempt to escape the cooler temperatures and make their way inside. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets and can cause serious harm or even death. If you must use these products please put then in tight spaces inaccessible to your pets.

Mushrooms

99% of mushrooms are known to be non toxic, leaving just 1% which can be life threatening to humans and pets. It is very difficult to distinguish between the toxic and the non toxic mushrooms so be very cautious when taking your dog in places where mushrooms grow.

Thanksgiving Turkey

If you decide to feed your pet a little nibble of turkey, make sure its boneless and well cooked. Do not feed large amounts of turkey to a dog as this can potentially cause pancreatitis. Do not offer raw or undercooked turkey as this may contain large amounts of salmonella bacteria.

Fatty Foods

Thanksgiving celebrations can include a lot of fatty foods such as turkey, ham, gravy, sweets and chocolates. Please do not feed these fatty foods to your pet. Food with high fat concentrations can cause pancreatitis or gastroenteritis in animals, medical conditions which can be very painful and life threatening.

Bones

Please dispose of turkey bones appropriately and out of reach of your pet. Turkey and other bones can lacerate or obstruct your pets insides.

Onions and Sage

Onions are commonly used in making stuffing but they are toxic to cats and dogs. Ingested onions can destroy red blood cells leading to anemia.

Sage is a common spice used in stuffing. Sage may contain essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression in animals if ingested in large amounts.

Bread Dough

Raw bread dough contains yeast and with heat the yeast causes the dough to rise. The same reaction will happen within an animal’s body if they are fed raw bread dough. As the dough expands, it can cause vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating may occur.

Thanksgiving Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to animals because it contains a caffeine derivative called Theobromine that cannot be metabolized. If enough is ingested it can cause severe complications and death. As little as 4 ounces of chocolate is enough to seriously harm a

10 lbs dog. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion are: hyperactivity, tremors, racing heartbeat and seizures.

Zylitol

Some candies, sweets and baked goods contain a sugar substitute called Zylitol. This additive can cause low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs.

Thanksgiving Garbage

After your thanksgiving feast, please make sure your garbage bag is securely fastened to prevent your pet from reaching such things as bones, aluminum foil, food wrappings and other harmful items.